By the turn of the 18th century, approximately 90 percent of land currently within the park's boundary had been converted to agriculture. Although extensive meadows existed in the area prior to European settlement, acres of forest were cleared to create pasture and cultivated cropland. For instance, in 1600, an estimated 30 percent of the Battle Road Unit supported open fields and meadows. By 1775, the percentage of fields had increased to more than 80 percent. By the time the park was established in 1959, many acres of abandoned agricultural land had reverted to forest. In addition, by 1959, many acres had been developed for residential and commercial purposes.
Since it's establishment, many structures have been removed or demolished and have been replaced by forest or meadows. In addition, the park plans to remove additional structures to restore additional acres of forest and field.
Last updated: February 26, 2015