Located on a remote mesa in New Mexico, at Los Alamos over 6.000 scientists and support personnel worked to design and build the atomic bombs.
The park currently includes three areas at Los Alamos (locations shown in the map):
Gun Site Facilities: three bunkered buildings (TA-8-1, TA-8-2, and TA-8-3), and a portable guard shack (TA-8-172). These buildings were associated with the design of the “Little Boy” bomb.
V-Site Facilities: TA-16-516 and TA-16-517 V-Site Assembly Building - used by laboratory personnel to assemble components of the Trinity device in July 1945
Pajarito Site: TA-18-1 Slotin Building, TA-8-2 Battleship Control Building, and the TA-18-29 Pond Cabin. Pajarito Site was used during the war for plutonium chemistry research and later became the main site for critical assembly work at Los Alamos after the war.
Visiting Los Alamos
While there is currently no public access to the Department of Energy (DOE) facilities listed above,walking tours are available in the town of Los Alamos. Download this brochure (PDF, 4.28 MB) to learn more about visiting the Los Alamos sites,the Los Alamos town site walking tour, and the DOE facilities. Stop by the Los Alamos Unit Visitor Center to chat with park rangers about current park events.
Manhattan Project National Historical Park
c/o NPS Intermountain Regional Office
P.O. Box 25287
(505) 661-6277 This phone number is for the Los Alamos Unit Visitor Center. You may also contact the Oak Ridge Unit Visitor Center at (865) 482-1942, or the Hanford Unit Visitor Center at (509) 376-1647.