- Date & Time
- 09/30/2017 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM
- Fee Information
- Contact Us
- e-mail us
Join staff and volunteers on Saturday, September 30 for a day of service at Manassas National Battlefield Park!
Please note that REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. Any interested individual or group must RSVP with the park Volunteer Coordinator in order to participate in National Public Lands Day events. Please call 703-361-1339 x1211. Individuals, groups, and scout troops are all encouraged to attend! Scheduled projects include:
- Trail Maintenance - Trail maintenance includes vegetation cut-back, cleaning out water bars and check dams, addressing erosion and sustainability issues, and reinstalling missing signage. Participants will be using bladed hand-tools. Age 14 and up only.
- Fence Construction- Join a park maintenance volunteer in constructing worm fencing to replicate the Civil War-era landscape. We will be reconstructing a historic fenceline at Brawner Farm, where the Second Battle of Manassas began on August 28, 1862. Age 16 and up only.
- Milkweed Seed Collection- We need volunteers to hand-pick milkweed seed from predetermined locations to be used for future milkweed habitat restoration elsewhere in the park. Milkweed is an important host for monarch butterfly caterpillars. Appropriate for all ages though minors under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or troop leader.
- Invasive Plant Control- Join park staff as we target invasive autumn olive, a decidous shrub that displaces native plants. Volunteers will use bladed hand tools - loppers, pruning saws, etc. to help control this shrub in select areas of the battlefield. Tools will be provided. Particpants should bring their own work gloves. Age 14 and up only.
- Litter Clean-Up- There are several areas in the park where we need light litter to be collected. Most of what will be found includes plastic grocery bags, bottles and cans, fast-food wrappers, etc. Trash bags and sticks will be provided. Participants should bring their own work gloves. Appropriate for all ages though minors under age 16 must be accompanied by a parent or troop leader.