|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Jon G. James, 703-754-1861
Manassas, VA – Park visitors will be noticing some improvements at Manassas National Battlefield Park in the coming months. In recognition of its 75th anniversary this year, the park has embarked on an effort to enhance facilities and visitor amenities, as well as to address repairs to important historic resources within the battlefield.
Park Superintendent Jon G. James offered the proposal as the ideal, long-term way to commemorate the founding of the park. “The best and most meaningful way to recognize this anniversary is not with a huge planned event,” he explained. “It made more sense to do things that would spruce up Manassas through this year and into 2016, the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the National Park Service.”
One of the first projects proposed for this year will be an effort to repair cracks discovered in the Bull Run Monument on Henry Hill. This work is slated to be completed by early June, in time to recognize the 150th anniversary of the monument’s dedication, which occurred on June 11, 1865, just over two months after the surrender of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House.
Other efforts throughout the summer will include installing new interpretive waysides on Henry Hill, Chinn Ridge, and other areas of the park, adding new benches on park trails, and repairing and repointing flagstone surfaces at the Visitor Center and the Stonewall Jackson Monument, among other tasks. Later this year, the park will undertake a project to rehabilitate the public restrooms in the Henry Hill Visitor Center.
Manassas National Battlefield Park was established on May 10, 1940, by the order of Secretary of the Interior Harold L. Ickes. Since its founding 75 years ago, the park has grown from an initial 1,605 acres to more than 5,000 acres, preserving significant portions of the battlefields of First and Second Manassas (Bull Run).