|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Superintendent Patrick Reed announced Wednesday afternoon that Mammoth Cave National Park will temporarily close some services and offices on Thursday because of the approaching storm.
“We don’t do this often, but the forecast is pretty clear,” said Reed. “On Wednesday, we made the decision to close cave tours and Green River Ferry on Thursday morning and keep our employees home. If conditions don’t materialize as predicted, we will call our staff in and open tours, the ferry, and the offices on Thursday afternoon.”
The Brownsville Road, Park City Road and Cave City Road will be maintained and kept open as long as they are safe to travel.
Green River Ferry and Green River Ferry Road will closed at 9:55 p.m. on Wednesday evening, reopening Friday morning as conditions permit. For current ferry status call 270-758-2166.
“We are closing the ferry because the pavement, where it slopes to the river, can be a precarious spot when it becomes slippery. Motorists need to be careful driving the park roads and remember that we treat the roads with chipped rock instead of salt,” added Reed. “If conditions become severe, we may need to close all park roads until they can be cleared for safe travel.”
Houchin Ferry Road and Flint Ridge Road will be gated Wednesday evening.
Mammoth Cave Hotel will be closed on Thursday.
“Working from the present forecast, we expect to have tours, the ferry, offices and the Hotel up and running as usual on Friday morning,” said Reed.
- NPS -