July 7, 2015
Contact: Vickie Carson
MAMMOTH CAVE, July 7, 2015 – Several construction projects will bring schedule changes to park operations, starting in August.
Cedar Sink Road repair
One mile of Cedar Sink Road, in the southwest corner of the park, will be rebuilt, surfaced, and guard rails will be replaced. The road will be closed August 1 through December 31, 2015. Detour signs will direct traffic to use the Silent Grove Road.
Historic Tour trail reconstruction
Two miles of cave trail will receive paving stones and lint guards between September 2015 and December 2016. Tours/routes will be altered;the following is an outline from the contract:
On average, 225,000 people walk the Historic tour route every year. Most of the existing trail used on cave tours were constructed in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps, and because of its age is marked by pot holes, loose sediment, and uneven surfaces. A boardwalk and concrete paving stones were installed in the last fifteen years as pilot projects to help determine the type of trail that would best suit various cave environments. Paving stones, like those used on patios, have proven to be the most practical method.
- September 8, 2015 – Memorial Day 2016: on weekdays there will be no tours in the Historic section;weekend tours to Rafinesque Hall.
- Fall break 2015 (about four weeks): daily tours to Rafinesque Hall.
- Spring break 2016 (about six weeks): daily tours to Rafinesque Hall.
- Memorial Day 2016 – Labor Day 2016: Historic section will be open for tours.
- Labor Day 2016 – December 31, 2016: on weekdays there will be no tours in the Historic section;weekend tours to Rafinesque Hall.
- Fall break 2016 (about four weeks): daily tours to Rafinesque Hall.
The park is currently soliciting bids for the work through www.FedBizOpps.gov. The bid period closes July 17, 2015.
The construction schedule is tentative. Posted tour offerings and tour times may be subject to change during the construction period.
Concessions facilities renovation
The main lodge (dining areas, gift shops, lobby, accessible rooms, Rotunda Room) will close September 8 –May 16, 2016, for replacement of utilities, including HVAC, plumbing, electric;a fire suppression system will be added. The park expects to award the contract by the end of July.
The Heritage Trail wing will close September 8, and will be demolished when funding becomes available.
Forever Resorts will continue to offer:
The concessions contract, to operate food service, gift sales, and overnight accommodations, is open for bid through September 9, 2015.
- Limited food service at the Cavers Camp Store;schedule is to be determined.
- Gifts within the visitor center and at the camp store.
- Daily bus transportation for cave tours will continue.
- Lodging as follows:
- To reserve rooms after October 1, please make reservations by telephone at 270-758-2225.
- Sunset Terrace Lodge will receive interior and exterior renovations and landscaping. Work begins September 8. Ten rooms will remain open from September 8 to November 1. Work will continue through the winter and is planned to be completed by mid-March 2016, when Sunset Terrace Lodge will reopen.
- The 10 Hotel Cottages, which have HVAC units, will remain open through the fall (weather dependent), closing November 1, 2015.
- The 20 Woodland Cottages, which are rustic structures without HVAC, will remain open in the fall as long as weather permits.
- All lodging will close for the season on November 1, 2015, and with plans to reopen in March 2016.