The Bungalow, located on the hill adjacent to the Mansion, is a Craftsman-style building constructed in 1916-17. It was designed as a secluded retreat by Harold Van Buren Magonigle for Mary Montague Billings French, daughter of Frederick Billings. The Bungalow remained unchanged until 1959 when the daughter of Mrs. French, Mary French Rockefeller, commissioned architect Theodor Muller of New York to renovate the building. Muller added a simple but modern kitchen and furnished it with many of the decorative items Laurance Rockefeller inherited from his father's estate in Seal Harbor, Maine. The inspiration for Muller's design was a Japanese Shinto temple. The Bungalow contains Asian decorative elements and fine art and also houses artwork from the South Pacific and Africa.
Last updated: February 26, 2015