|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Phil Lupsiewicz, 978-275-1705
LOWELL, MA — Lowell National Historical Park and Lowell Heritage Partnership are seeking nominations from the community to acknowledge the contributions of organizations or individuals in the areas of historic preservation and cultural heritage. Superintendent Celeste Bernardo stated that, “The park's 40th anniversary year in 2018 is a special opportunity to honor those community members and organizations who have contributed to the preservation of Lowell's historic resources and heritage. We invite everyone to join us as we celebrate their contributions and kick off our very special birthday celebration.” The award recipients will be announced at the eighth annual reception as part of Doors Open Lowell in May.
These two award categories represent the important nature of the Park’s dual mission to “preserve and interpret the nationally significant historical and cultural sites” in Lowell. In each area, awards may be presented to nominees in two categories: one from a student enrolled in middle school through college and one from the broader community. “These awards recognizing excellence in preservation and heritage mark a high point in the year for the community," said James Ostis, president of the Lowell Heritage Partnership. "This is part of our stewardship of the unique asset that is Lowell's history."
Nominees should represent an individual or organization that has demonstrated significant contributions of time and effort to project participation and leadership and activities should be voluntary and non-sectarian.
Nominations, via the attached forms, will be accepted through Friday, March 16, 2018. A summary description with the application should not exceed two pages and include:
FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION:
- Exemplar projects and activities that have led to the preservation and/or rehabilitation of buildings and landscapes within the City of Lowell that have contributed to enhancing the preservation of Lowell’s historic character.
- A brief summary of the preservation project activities and outcomes.
- Documentation of the final product, in terms of resources preserved and their significance, and what they offer in their new role in the city’s economic development and quality of life. Materials in addition to written descriptions should be limited to two support items.
- A sampling of past award recipients’ accomplishments in this category include: preservation of cemeteries, numerous mill redevelopment projects, preservation skills training, Hamilton Canal District vision planning, and preservation rehabilitation with LEED certification.
FOR CULTURAL HERITAGE:
- Programs or projects and activities illustrating accomplishments in capturing, conveying, and expressing Lowell’s unique cultural history and heritage. This may include interpretation and education ventures, festivals, cultural activities, documentation, and more.
- A brief summary of the project activities and outcomes including the audiences served and influence these activities have had toward increased understanding and appreciation of Lowell as a city representing a significant national story and its continuing evolution today. Materials in addition to written descriptions should be limited to two support items.
- A sampling of past award recipients’ accomplishments in this category include: documenting and sharing immigrant and refugee experiences, cultural performance with the Angkor Dance Troupe, organization and presentation of ethnic food sales at the Lowell Folk Festival, Kerouac walking tours, historical documentation of the canal system, historical tours of Lowell Cemetery, and preserving and sharing the history of Lowell’s Irish community.
Nominations and any photographs and or supporting materials you may wish to include with a nomination are due at the address below by close of business on Friday, March 16, 2018.
Send nominations to Phil Lupsiewicz by Friday, March 16, 2018.
- By US Mail at: Lowell National Historical Park, 67 Kirk Street, Lowell, MA, 01852
- Or by email to email@example.com