|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: David Byers, (978) 275-1705
Lowell, Massachusetts— Lowell Heritage Partnership and Lowell National Historical Park are seeking nominations from the community for acknowledging the contributions of organizations or individuals in the areas of historic preservation and cultural heritage. Superintendent Celeste Bernardo stated that, "This collaboration between the Heritage Partnership and the Park provides a forum for raising awareness of the excellent efforts and accomplishments in our community. We look forward to receiving an array of nominations from across that spectrum." The award recipients will be announced at the sixth annual Lowell Preservation and Cultural Heritage Awards Reception as part of Doors Open Lowell in May.
These two award categories represent the important nature of the Park's dual mission to "preserve and interpret the nationally significant historical and cultural sites" in Lowell. In each area, awards may be presented to nominees in two categories: one from an enrolled middle school through college student and one from the broader community. "When we recognize extraordinary persons, businesses, and organizations for preserving and celebrating our heritage, we are saying we value these efforts," Lowell Heritage Partnership president Paul Marion said. "Our history is what makes us special."
Nominees should represent an individual or organization that has demonstrated significant contributions of time and effort to project participation and leadership and activities should be voluntary and non-sectarian.
Nominations, via the attached forms, will be accepted through Monday, April 6, 2015. A summary description with the application should not exceed two pages and include:
FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION:
- Exemplar projects and activities that have led to the preservation and/or rehabilitation of buildings and landscapes within the City of Lowell that have contributed to enhancing the preservation of Lowell's historic character.
- A brief summary of the preservation project activities and outcomes.
- Documentation of the final product, in terms of resources preserved and their significance, and what they offer in their new role in the city's economic development and quality of life. Materials in addition to written descriptions should be limited to two support items.
- A sampling of past award recipients'accomplishments in this category include: preservation of cemeteries, numerous mill redevelopment projects, preservation skills training, Hamilton Canal District vision planning, and preservation rehabilitation with LEED certification.
FOR CULTURAL HERITAGE:
- Programs or projects and activities illustrating accomplishments in capturing, conveying, and expressing Lowell's unique cultural history and heritage. This may include interpretation and education ventures, festivals, cultural activities, documentation, and more.
- A brief summary of the project activities and outcomes including the audiences served and influence these activities have had toward increased understanding and appreciation of Lowell as a city representing a significant national story and its continuing evolution today. Materials in addition to written descriptions should be limited to two support items.
- A sampling of past award recipients'accomplishments in this category include: documenting and sharing immigrant and refugee experiences, cultural performance with the Angkor Dance Troupe, organization and presentation of ethnic food sales at the Lowell Folk Festival, cultural festivals such as the Southeast Asian Water Festival, historical documentation of the canal system, historical tours of Lowell Cemetery, and preserving and sharing the history of Lowell's Irish community.
Nominations and any photographs and/or supporting materials you may wish to include with a nomination are due at the address below by close of business on Monday, April 6, 2015. Please limit these items to two per nomination.
Send nominations to Dave Byers by Monday, April 6, 2015.
By U.S. Mail at: Lowell National Historical Park, 67 Kirk Street, Lowell, MA, 01852
Or by email to email@example.com