Explore a Winter Wonderland
Snowshoes offer an easy way to explore the park when the roads and trails are hidden under snow. If you planning to snowshoe in the park, please note:
- There are no equipment rentals in the park.
- Winter route conditions are updated as available.
- Oversnow travel in the park involves risk. Learn more about winter safety including avalanche safety, recreating in a remote area, and route selection.
- Pets are not permitted on snow-covered routes. Leashed pets are permitted in parking areas.
Choose Your Destination:
- The Southwest Area (6,700 - 10,457 ft) offers steep slopes and sweeping vistas just beyond the Kohm Yah-mah-nee Visitor Center, which offers the only services between November and early May. Numerous routes in the Southwest Area offer trails of greater difficulty, many with spectacular winter views.
- The Manzanita Lake Area (5,800 - 7,200 ft) consists of gentle slopes and scenic lakes. It offers the easiest routes for snowshoeing and cross-country skiing in the park.
The following locations are provided in no particular order to help visitors obtain snowshoe rentals near the park. Calling ahead of time to verify availability and business hours is highly recommended.
- Mineral Lodge - Mineral, CA
- Highlands Ranch Resort - Mill Creek, CA
- Bodfish Bicycles/Quiet Mountain Sports - Chester, CA
- Boardmart - Redding, CA
- Redding Sports Ltd - Redding, CA
- The Hermit's Hut - Redding, CA
- Chico Sports Ltd - Chico, CA
- Mountain Sports - Chico, CA
Ranger-led Snowshoe Walks
Public Snowshoe Walks
Ranger-led snowshoe walks are offered in the Southwest Area January through March. Snowshoes are provided for visitors age 8 and older for the duration of the ranger-led walk.
Winter Ecology Snowshoe Program for School Groups
Lassen's Education Program offers ranger-led snowshoe walks and winter ecology programs for school groups grades 3 through 8. Programs are by reservation only. Please visit our Field Trips page for more information.