|Subscribe | What is RSS|
National Park Service
U.S. Department of the Interior
LAKE MEAD NATIONAL RECREATION AREA Media Advisory
For Immediate Release: May 14, 2013
Release No.: 2013-32
Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Christie Vanover,e-mail us, 702-283-2344
Nevada Department of Wildlife, Jennifer Winston,email@example.com, 702-486-5127
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, Mark Himes,firstname.lastname@example.org, 702-580-5976
MEDIA ADVISORY: LIFE JACKET WORLD RECORD DAY, SAFE BOATING PROCLAMATION MAY 18
WHO: National Park Service, Nevada Department of Wildlife, U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, Las Vegas Boat Harbor, Southern Nevada SEA Partners and the City of Henderson Aquatics Department
WHAT: National Safe Boating Week Kick-Off
- Safe Boating Week Proclamation:Officials from the U.S. Senate, Clark County Commissioner's Office, and the cities of Las Vegas, Henderson and Boulder City will present proclamations declaring May 18-24 National Safe Boating Week.
- Life Jacket World Record Day:Hundreds of visitors are expected to show up and put on their life jackets in hopes of breaking last year's world record. This is one of 150 simultaneous events scheduled around the world to bring a world of change to boating safety and life jacket wear.
- Vessel Inspections:USCG will provide free vessel inspections for boaters to ensure their boats are safe and ready for the summer.
- Other Activities:Free life jacket exchange, information booths, displays and Coastie the talking robot boat will be set up at the marina to provide information about boater safety.
WHEN: Saturday, May 18
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. - USCG vessel inspections
- 10 a.m. - Proclamation
- 11 a.m. - Life Jacket World Record Day Event
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - life jacket exchange, information booths, kids' activities
WHERE:Las Vegas Boat Harbor, Lake Mead National Recreation Area
There will also be information booths, kids' activities and a world record event at Katherine Landing and Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mohave from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
WHY: National Safe Boating Week (May 18-24). Whether boating, fishing or swimming, a life jacket can and will save your life. We're encouraging people to come out to the park before Memorial Day to make sure their life jackets and vessels are as ready for the season as they are.