Return to Press Kit
The National Park Service, its concessioners, partners and permitted organizations conduct a variety of events each year at Lake Mead National Recreation Area that attract thousands of tourists and media. Below is a list of some of the more popular and unique events.
- Eagle Survey – Each year NPS staff conduct a winter count of bald eagles. 99 bald eagles were spotted in 2015.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Free entrance
- Mountain Man St. Patrick’s Day Run – Half marathon that draws around 1,000 participants
- National Park Week – Free entrance and various activities
- Junior Ranger Day – Kids go through stations to learn about Lake Mead NRA and are then sworn in as Junior Rangers
- BBSC Rage – Triathlon that draws around 1,200 participants
- Nevada Children’s Outdoor Bill of Rights Month
- National Wildlife Week
- Great American Clean-up
- National Safe Boating Week – The park participates in Wear Your Life Jacket to Work Day, Life Jacket World Record Day and hosts a partnership event to promote boater safety.
- Memorial Day Media Day – Media are invited on exclusive boat ride-alongs with park rangers and game wardens before Memorial Day Weekend
- International Migratory Bird Day
- National Get Outdoors Day
- National Marina Day
- Free Fishing Day
- July 4th Damboree Celebration Parade
- NPS Anniversary – August 25, 1916; free entrance; 2016 will mark the service's 100th anniversary
- National Public Lands Day, free entrance
- WON Bass U.S. Open – Bass fishing tournament that draws around 300 anglers
- Lake Mead NRA Anniversary – Oct. 8, 1964, Public Law 88-639 established Lake Mead National Recreation Area under the sole jurisdiction of the National Park Service
- Ironman 70.3 Silverman – Event draws around 2,500 athletes
Southern Nevada Trails Day
- National Wildlife Refuge Week
- Make A Difference Day
- Get Outdoors Nevada Day
- Cottonwood Cove Eco-Dive
- Pumpkin Man Triathlon – Triathlon that draws around 1,300 athletes
- Ragnar Relay – The park’s largest permitted event with around 8,000 participants.
- Veterans Day Weekend – Free entrance
- Boat Parade of Lights
- Boulder City Electric Night Parade