|Subscribe | What is RSS|
Contact: Roxanne Dey, 702.293.8947
The Overton Beach Marina is scheduled to begin moving from the Overton Arm of Lake Mead to the existing marinas operated by Forever Resorts at Callville Bay and Temple Bar. The marina will depart Overton Beach at about 6 p,m. today, and travel about one mile-per-hour down the Overton Arm. The departure time may be adjusted for weather conditions.
When the marina reaches the Middle Point location of Lake Mead, the south end of the marina (with 45 boats in slips) will separate and head to Temple Bar. The north marina (with 80 boats in slips) will enter the Virgin Basin and travel through the area commonly referred to as “the narrows” and head to Callville Bay.
The temporary closure of “the narrows” from 12 noon to 6 p.m. on Saturday, February 3 is necessary for the safe relocation of the marina. Please note these times may be adjusted as the operation gets underway. At this time, the NPS is also requesting news helicopters do not fly in the narrows Saturday, February 3 from 12 noon to 6 p.m. for safety reasons.
The Overton Beach Marina is moving due to lowering water levels on Lake Mead. Facts about the marina configuration and other data for the move:
- the structure will be 520 feet wide and more than 700 feet long
- 20 houseboats and 12 smaller boats will be used to power and maneuver the marina
- the speed will be 1–1.5 miles per hour
- the structure will weigh 2,858,750 pounds
- the operation will run continuously for 40-48 hours
- the structure will have 40-50 employees physically on the structure during the relocation
- NPS and Nevada Department of Wildlife vessels will serve as escorts
- the National Weather Service is providing custom weather forecasting briefings and products prior to, and during the actual move
The public facilities at Overton Beach will remain open. Those areas include the public launch ramp, the restrooms, the fish cleaning station, and the ranger station. The shoreside facilities operated by the concessioner will close as scheduled March 31 (long-term trailer village, RV Park, store, fuel station, and dry boat storage).