Lesson Plan

Variety is the spice of life

Photo of Scorpion
Scorpions are part of the diversity of the Mojave Desert

Overall Rating

Add your review
Grade Level:
Fifth Grade
Biodiversity, Biology: Animals, Biology: Plants, Environment, Wilderness
Group Size:
Up to 24
biodiversity, endangered species, transect, Species, Threatened and Endangered Species


Lake Mead is an excellent resource for studying diversity in the Mojave Desert. Although most people are well acquainted with the recreation area’s water, that resource only comprises 13% of the recreation area. The other 87% is land based. In its 1.5 million acres, Lake Mead NRA supports more than 900 plant species and approximately 345 animal species which include mammals, reptiles, amphibians and birds.


A one-mile nature walk enables students to study the world of geology. Students will discover a few of the geologic stories of the area.