Special exhibit "Southern Mud N' Moss" - Paintings by local artist Sharlene Eymard Dufrene feature the mossy trees and muddy swamps of south Louisiana with realistic works that draw the viewer in to explore the area's beauty. Wednesday, June 1, through Tuesday, August 30. Free.
The lives of the Acadians (Cajuns) and others whose travels brought them to Louisiana's bayous are featured at the Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center in Thibodaux. Explore recreation, clothing, home furnishings, religion, cuisine, and fishing through exhibits, artifacts, videos, and films. A 200-seat theater is used for productions by the Thibodaux Playhouse, Inc., and other programs. Kids can earn a badge with the Junior Ranger
program. The center's museum store has CDs, craft items, and books from cookbooks to children's stories on sale. Admission to the center and to most programs is free. Follow these links for the park's calendar
of events, exhibits, and programs; for directions and transportation
options; and for accessibility
314 St. Mary Street, Thibodaux
Open Monday-Tuesday 9:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. and Wednesday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. The center is also open 8:00-11:00 a.m. on Farmer's Market Saturdays. Closed on federal holidays and Mardi Gras (Tuesday, February 9, in 2016). Useful information about public transportation, regulations on pets, etc., is available here.
Regularly scheduled programs:
- Free Cajun music jam every Monday 5:00-6:15 p.m. Bring an instrument and play along with local musicians or just enjoy! No jam on Monday, September 5, or Monday, October 10; center closed for federal holiday.
- Free walking tour of historic Thibodaux Tuesday-Thursday at 10:00 a.m. Join a ranger for a one-mile stroll through local history. Note that the tour time will change to 2:00 p.m. beginning October 4.
- Cercle Francophone invites you to come pass a good time speaking French (Cajun or otherwise) 5:30-7:00 p.m. every Tuesday. Help keep French alive in Louisiana---and if you don't speak French, come on along to watch linguistic history in action. Free.
- The Thibodaux Farmer's Market offers fresh produce, baked goods, and local favorites next to the Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center 8:00 a.m.-noon on Saturdays in spring and fall. Free.
- Boat tours on Bayou Lafourche cruise into Louisiana's past in fall and spring. Spring 2016 cruising season is over---see you in the fall.
Special events and programs: