Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve will offer day camps at many of its sites in summer 2017 (sorry, no camp at the park's French Quarter Visitor Center this year). Through games, crafts, mini-workshops with local artisans, hikes, and hands-on activities, campers will explore the cultural diversity that influences life in south Louisiana as well as local land and ecology.
Culture Camp at the Acadian Cultural Center in Lafayette - Through hands-on activities, demonstrations, and programs by master artisans, campers will explore the National Park Service, become a Junior Ranger, learn to make old-time toys, take a hike on a trail at Indian Bayou, make coiled clay pots as the American Indians did, experience Cajun and zydeco music, explore folklore through storytelling, learn about the Louisiana black bear, investigate south Louisiana's rich and varied cultures, and take field trips. Camp registration is now underway and is limited to 20 campers per session on a first-come, first-served basis. Camper registration is not guaranteed until application and fee are received at the center; fee payment is by check or cash only. The center is located at 501 Fisher Road in Lafayette; hours at Tuesday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. and Saturday 8:30 a.m. to noon. Follow the link for camp application; for more information, call 337-232-0789 ext. 201.
- June 5-9 ages 6-8 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. $30 supply and material fee
- June 12-16 ages 9-11 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $60 supply and material fee
- June 19-23 ages 9-11 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $60 supply and material fee
- June 26-30 ages 6-8 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. $30 supply and material fee
Junior Ranger Camp and Wetlands Explorers Camp at the Barataria Preserve in Marrero - Registration for all camps begins at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 8, at the Barataria Preserve Visitor Center at 6588 Bartaria Blvd. in Marrero. On April 8, applications will be accepted in person only; no applications accepted for multiple families. After April 8, applications and check payments will be accepted by mail. Follow the links below for camp applications. For more information, call 504-689-3690 ext. 25.
Junior Ranger Camp at the Barataria Preserve will go full STEAM ahead in 2017 by exploring Louisiana's wetlands through a STEAM lens: science, technology, engineering, art, math. Campers will also learn about national parks and how to protect the swamp critters that call the preserve home. Through hands-on science experiments, art projects, and trail hikes, campers will get "down and dirty" with nature. Follow the link for camp application and see general Barataria Preserve camp registration information above.
- June 5-9 ages 6-8 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $25 supply and material fee SORRY, THIS CAMP IS FULL
- June 12-16 ages 6-8 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $25 supply and material fee SORRY, THIS CAMP IS FULL
- June 19-23 ages 9-11 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $50 supply and material fee SORRY, THIS CAMP IS FULL
- June 26-30 ages 9-11 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $50 supply and material fee SORRY, THIS CAMP IS FULL
- July 10-14 ages 12-14 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $75 supply and material fee SORRY, THIS CAMP IS FULL
Camp Bonjour at the Prairie Acadian Cultural Center in Eunice - Campers explore the culture and history of south Louisiana through Cajun French and zydeco music, Cajun dancing, old-fashioned games, storytelling, hands-on arts and crafts, and activities about Cajun culture and the National Park Service. In addition, campers ages 9-12 will learn water safety, canoeing, and other outdoor skills from a National Park Service ranger. For registration information, email the center or call 337-457-8499.
- July 10-14 ages 9-12 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $50 supply and material fee
- July 17-21 ages 6-8 9:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. $30 supply and material fee
Wetlands Camp at the Wetlands Acadian Cultural Center in Thibodaux - Campers discover Louisiana's wetlands through outdoor activities, nature crafts, hands-on experiments, music, games, and cultural explorations. Campers may sign up for only one camp session; registration is first-come, first-served. Registration is now underway; register in person at the center, located at 314 Saint Mary Street in Thibodaux. The center is open Monday-Tuesday 9:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. and Wednesday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. The center is also open 8:00 -11:00 a.m. on Farmers Market Saturdays (call the center for dates). For more information, call the center at 985-448-1375.
- June 5-9 ages 9-12 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $60.00 supply and material fee SORRY, THIS CAMP IS FULL
- June 12-16 ages 9-12 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $60.00 supply and material fee SORRY, THIS CAMP IS FULL
- June 19-23 ages 9-12 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. $60.00 supply and material fee SORRY, THIS CAMP IS FULL
- June 26-30 ages 7-9 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. $30.00 supply and material fee SORRY, THIS CAMP IS FULL
Sorry, no summer camps at the French Quarter Visitor Center in New Orleans in 2017.