Hunting and trapping are allowed at the Barataria Preserve by permit only.
Trappers - A permit is required to trap in the Barataria Preserve. Permits are free. To apply, call the park's natural resource program manager at 504-589-3882 ext. 119. A valid State of Louisiana Trapping License is required.
Hunters - Special permits are required to hunt at the Barataria Preserve. Permits are free. Hunters may apply for permits in the late summer; information will be posted here in summer 2019 for the 2019-2020 hunting season.
For future reference: Hunters are required to posses the following documents while hunting in the Barataria Preserve:
- a current valid Barataria Preserve hunting permit
- a current and valid Louisiana's driver's license of other photo identification
- a hunter safety card (if applicable; all persons born after September 1, 1969, must complete a state-approved hunter safety program before being allowed to hunt in the Barataria Preserve)
- a current Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries hunting license
- if hunting waterfowl, applicable federal duck stamp and state HIP (Harvest Information Program) certification are required
To learn more about hunting at the preserve, see the 2018-2019 season links below. The Barataria Preserve hunting brochure includes hunt dates, rules, and other useful information. For answers to questions about hunting and trapping, call the preserve at 504-689-3690 ext. 18 or email the hunt program coordinator.
- Barataria Preserve hunting brochure 2018-2019
- waterfowl hunting at the Barataria Preserve
- waterfowl hunt zones map
- State of Louisiana hunting regulations