Wetlands project alert! If you're near Yankee Pond or on the eastern edge of Lake Salvador or Lake Catouatche, you may see or hear machinery being used in a major freshwater marsh restoration project. Follow the link to learn more.
Hunting and trapping are allowed at the Barataria Preserve by permit only.
Trappers - A permit is required to trap in the Barataria Preserve. Permits are free. To apply, call the park's natural resource program manager at 504-589-3882 ext. 119. A valid State of Louisiana Trapping License is required.
Hunters - Special permits are required to hunt at the Barataria Preserve. Permits are free. Applications for the 2018-2019 hunting season will be accepted Saturday, June 30, through Saturday, September 1. Applications will be available on online and can be downloaded and filled in. Applications can be scanned and emailed to the hunt program coordinator or submitted in person at the Barataria Preserve Visitor Center (follow the link for address and days/times that the visitor center is open). Permits will be available for pick-up at the visitor center beginning Wednesday, September 5; note that only the permit holder may pick up the permit and that a valid photo ID is required.
Hunters are required to posses the following documents while hunting in the Barataria Preserve:
- a current valid Barataria Preserve hunting permit
- a current and valid Louisiana's driver's license of other photo identification
- a hunter safety card (if applicable; all persons born after September 1, 1969, must complete a state-approved hunter safety program before being allowed to hunt in the Barataria Preserve)
- a current Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries hunting license
- if hunting waterfowl, applicable federal duck stamp and state HIP (Harvest Information Program) certification are required
To learn more about hunting at the preserve, see the 2017-2018 season links below. The Barataria Preserve hunting brochure includes hunt dates, rules, and other useful information. The 2018-2019 Barataria Preserve hunting brochure will be posted on this web page later this summer. For answers to questions about hunting and trapping, call the preserve at 504-689-3690 ext. 18 or email the hunt program coordinator.
- Barataria Preserve hunting brochure 2017-2018
- waterfowl hunting at the Barataria Preserve
- waterfowl hunt zones map
- State of Louisiana hunting regulations