Wetlands project alert! If you're near Yankee Pond or on the eastern edge of Lake Salvador or Lake Catouatche, you may see or hear machinery being used in a major freshwater marsh restoration project. Follow the link to learn more.
Hunting and trapping are allowed at the Barataria Preserve by permit only.
Trappers - A permit is required to trap in the Barataria Preserve. Permits are free. To apply, call the park's natural resource program manager at 504-589-3882 ext. 119. A valid State of Louisiana Trapping License is required.
Hunters - Special permits are required to hunt at the Barataria Preserve. Permits are free. The application period for 2017-2018 hunting season permits is now over. Only hunters who receive a 2017-2018 permit may hunt at the Barataria Preserve during the 2017-2018 hunting season.
Hunters with 2017-2018 permits who need additional drop slips can download them from the link below.
For future reference: when applying for a Barataria Preserve hunting permit, you must bring
- a current and valid Louisiana driver's license or other photo identification
- a hunter safety card (if applicable)
- a current Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries hunting license
- if hunting waterfowl, all applicable duck stamps (federal and state)
- first-time Barataria Preserve hunters are required to pass a written test showing familiarity with preserve regulations.
- all persons born after September 1, 1969, must complete a state-approved hunter safety program before being allowed to hunt in the Barataria Preserve.
To learn more about hunting at the preserve, see the 2017-2018 season links below. The Barataria Preserve hunting brochure includes hunt dates, rules, and other useful information. For answers to questions about hunting and trapping, call the preserve at 504-689-3690 ext. 20 or email the park.
- Barataria Preserve hunting brochure 2017-2018
- waterfowl hunting at the Barataria Preserve
- waterfowl hunt zones map
- State of Louisiana hunting regulations
- drop slips for hunters with permits who need additional copies