Wetlands project alert! If you're near Yankee Pond or on the eastern edge of Lake Salvador or Lake Catouatche, you may see or hear machinery being used in a major freshwater marsh restoration project. Follow the link to learn more.
Hunting and trapping are allowed at the Barataria Preserve by permit only.
Trappers - A permit is required to trap in the Barataria Preserve. Permits are free. To apply, call the park's natural resource program manager at 504-589-3882 ext. 119. A valid State of Louisiana Trapping License is required.
Hunters - Special permits are required to hunt at the Barataria Preserve. Permits are free. Applications for permits for the 2017-2018 hunting season will be accepted 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday beginning Wednesday, September 6. The last day to apply for a preserve hunting permit is Sunday, October 1. Applications may ONLY be submitted in person at the Barataria Preserve Visitor Center, 6588 Barataria Blvd. in Marrero (near Crown Point).
Only hunters who receive a 2017-2018 permit may hunt at the Barataria Preserve during the 2017-2018 hunting season.
All persons applying for a Barataria Preserve hunting permit must bring the following items with them when they apply for their permit:
- a current and valid Louisiana driver's license or other photo identification
- a hunter safety card (if applicable)
- a current Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries hunting license
- if hunting waterfowl, all applicable duck stamps (federal and state)
- first-time Barataria Preserve hunters are required to pass a written test showing familiarity with preserve regulations. Testing is done 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays ONLY. The first day that first-time preserve hunters may take the test is Saturday, September 9. The last day that first-time preserve hunters may take the test is Sunday, October 1.
- all persons born after September 1, 1969, must complete a state-approved hunter safety program before being allowed to hunt in the Barataria Preserve. Hunter safety education courses are offered throughout the state; courses fill up quickly so register now.
To learn more about hunting at the preserve, see the 2017-2018 season links below. The Barataria Preserve hunting brochure includes hunt dates, rules, and other useful information. For answers to questions about hunting and trapping, call the preserve at 504-689-3690 ext. 20 or email the park.
- Barataria Preserve hunting brochure 2017-2018
- waterfowl hunting at the Barataria Preserve
- waterfowl hunt zones map
- State of Louisiana hunting regulations
- drop slips for hunters with permits who need additional copies