Historic Jamestowne is jointly administered by the National Park Service, which owns the majority of the 1500 acre Island, and Preservation Virginia which owns 22 1/2 acres. Preservation Virginia's acreage includes the Memorial Church, the 17th century church tower, the site of the original triangular fort of 1607, where the current archaeological dig is taking place, the Dale House Cafe and the Archaearium, a museum dedicated to the artifacts found within the fort. Although school groups taking one of the National Park Services guided tours or educational programs can walk Preservation Virginia's site they are not permitted into the Archaearium without first booking a Preservation Virginia reserved-time for the Archaearium. There is a $30 reserved-time program fee per group of 30 students for the Archaearium. School groups wishing to visit the Archaearium must contact Mark Summers at 757 229-4997 ext 111 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For school groups wishing a National Park Service educational program or tour there are four steps in planning your class trip to the National Park site of Historic Jamestowne: