Preservation Virginia (APVA)
The nation's oldest statewide preservation organization, Preservation Virginia is dedicated to preserving and promoting Virginia's irreplaceable historic structures, landscapes, collections, communities and archaeological sites. Founded in 1889 under the name Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) their mission was "to restore and preserve the ancient historic buildings and tombs in the State of Virginia, and acquire by purchase or gift the sites of such buildings and tombs with a view to their prepetuation and preservation." In 1893 the Jamestown church ruins and twenty-two and a half acres of adjacent land were donated to the APVA by the then single owners of Jamestown Island Mr. and Mrs. Edward Barney. Since 1934, when the National Park Service acquired the remainder of Jamestown Island, Historic Jamestowne has been jointly managed by the APVA and the National Park Service. In 2009 the APVA changed their name to Preservation Virginia.
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation's founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture - stories of our journey to become Americans - while historic tradespeople research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry.
Eastern National is a cooperating association that promotes the public's understanding and support of America's national parks and other public trusts. Eastern National currently operates educational retail outlets in 30 states, from Maine to the Caribbean. All of the products, programs and publications offered to visitors have a strong educational value and assist the educational programs of the Service. The profits from their activity is donated to the National Park Service and their other partners to further support interpretive and education programs in the parks. Since 1947, Eastern National has donated over $89 million to the National Park Service. At Colonial NHP, Easter National operates the Jamestown glasshouse, a fascinating demonstration of colonial glassmaking, as well as a museum store at the park’s Yorktown Battlefield unit.
Friends of the National Park Service for Green Spring
Colonial National Historical Park administers approximately 308 of the original 2,000 acres of Governor Sir William Berkeley’s estate, known as Green Spring. Though not currently open to the public, the complex of partial historic ruins, archeological sites, and landscape features that make up Green Spring have provided and have the potential to provide information on the life and times of Governor Berkeley and later owners and the evolution the southern plantation system. The Friends of the National Park Service for Green Spring assist the park by researching, preserving, and presenting Historic Green Spring and its history for public education and enjoyment.
Greater Williamsburg Chamber and Tourism Alliance
The Greater Williamsburg Chamber & Tourism Alliance is an organization of more than 1,000 members, who represent small businesses, large businesses, government and educational institutions and non-profit organizations in the Historic Triangle (City of Williamsburg, and the counties of James City and York) to encourage the growth of existing and new businesses; coordinate the efforts of those involved in commerce, industry or professions; promote the area as a year-round travel destination; and support all activities believed to be beneficial to the area
Last updated: May 25, 2016