- The building sits atop the Calumet Dunes Ridge. About 6,000 years ago the land where the existing parking lot stands was a beach.
- The building once was the national lakeshore headquarters, Dorothy Buell Memorial Visitor Center till November 2006, and for 3 years the Calumet Dunes Interpretive Center. It is now closed
- Before the national lakeshore acquired the building, it was the Presbyterian Church of the Dunes.
- Starting at Interstate 94 and Indiana 49, go north about 3 miles to U.S. Highway 12.
- The exit to U.S. Highway 12 is on the left.
- Go right (east) 3 miles on U.S. Highway 12 to Kemil road, turn right (south).
- Immediately turn right into the parking lot.
Click Here for Map and possible travel times, traffic information and other suggested routes.