Trailhead Parking Lot
1596 North Kemil Road (300E), Chesterton, IN 46304 (Intersection of Kemil Road and U.S. Highway 12)
Note: Kemil Road is called East State Park Road north of U.S. Highway 12
Note: This is the parking lot of the old visitor center
Trailhead GPS Coordinates
41.661836, -87.010109 (Decimal Degrees)
Need to Know
Hours & Information
- Open daily from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm.
- Free (no access fee).
- Bicycles and motorized vehicles are not allowed.
- Pets are permitted on a leash (6' or shorter).
- Pets are not permitted on the Glenwood Dunes Trail.
- Trail is wheelchair accessible.
- Trail surface is paved with some leaf litter.
- There are year round restrooms and potable water.
- The parking lot is paved and has 35 spots (2 spots are handicap only).
- In the winter, this trail is popular for cross-country skiers.
- The Calumet Dunes Trail is interconnected with the large Glenwood Dunes Trail system and the Dunewood Trace Campground Trail. Click here for information on the Glenwood Dunes Trail system.
- Stay on the trail to protect the wildlife and yourself.
- Use insect repellent, wear long sleeves and tuck long pants into socks to avoid ticks and poison ivy.
- The mosquitoes can be bad in the summer months.