Special Use Permits

Special Event on Independence Mall
Special Event on Independence Mall
A special park use is a short-term activity that takes place in a park area and provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. The National Park Service may permit a special park use providing the activity will not cause derogation of the park's resources or values, visitor experiences, or the purpose for which the park was established. Primary consideration will be given to potential resource damage, anticipated disruption of normal public use, and previously approved permitted activities. Review the Superintendent's Compendium for guidance on your proposed activity prior to submitting a special use permit application.

Link to the section of the Superintendent's Compendium regarding filming and
photography in the park

Click on the desired link for further information and permit application forms. The application forms are in Adobe PDF format. To access the forms you must have a copy of Adobe Reader loaded on your computer. Once completed, the permit application must be printed and signed. It cannot be saved and emailed. The application can then be faxed or mailed to the park (contact information provided on the application) or scanned and emailed. Applications are not considered complete until all requirements have been submitted, including the application fees and liability insurance certificates (except for First Amendment applications).

*Please Note: There are new versions of the permit forms as of January 29, 2014. Make sure you have the newest version!

Special Events, Public Assemblies and Meetings
Fee Schedule

Wedding Photography

Map - Wedding Photography Locations

More Information on each wedding photography location

Commercial Use Authorization

Questions relating to special use permits may be emailed to:
Special Events Office
Phone: 215-597-9205
Fax: 215-597-0042

Special Events Office
Independence National Historical Park
143 South Third Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Office Hours:
Monday through Friday
8:30AM to 4:30PM

By Appointment


The Greater Philadelphia Film Office is available to provide free assistance for filming and video projects including locating resources, site surveys and parking. The Film Office should be notified of all projects occurring in the City. For further information they can be contacted at: 100 South Broad St. Suite 600, Philadelphia, PA 19110. Telephone: (215) 686-2668, fax: (215) 686-3659.

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

143 S. 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106


(215) 965-2305
Use this number to talk to a park ranger at the visitor center desk for park information. Park rangers are available for calls daily from 8:30am to 5pm. During heavy visitation, park rangers are assisting other visitors and may not be able to answer the phone right away. For information about lodging and restaurants, contact the city concierge staff at 800-537-7676.

Contact Us