Public Involvement

The President's House
Presidents House 1790'S

nps

NEW UPDATED NPS PRESIDENT'S HOUSE WEB SITE CLICK HERE

President George Washington called the elegant three story brick mansion “the best single house in the city.” Both Presidents Washington (1790–1797) and John Adams (1797–1800) lived and worked in this house, which was rented from the financier Robert Morris. Washington’s large household, including enslaved African descendents, contrasted with Adams’ small household. Adams never owned slaves.

The President’s house in the 1790s was a mirror of the young republic, reflecting both the ideals and contradictions of the new nation. The house stood in the shadow of Independence Hall, where the words “All men are created equal” and “We the People” were adopted, but they did not apply to all who lived in the new United States of America

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

143 S. 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Phone:

(215) 965-2305
Use this number to talk to a park ranger at the visitor center desk for park information. Park rangers are available for calls daily from 8:30am to 5pm. During heavy visitation, park rangers are assisting other visitors and may not be able to answer the phone right away. For information about lodging and restaurants, contact the city concierge staff at 800-537-7676.

Contact Us