62. Archeological Investigation of the Carriage House,
James A. Garfield National Historic Site, Mentor, Ohio.
Hunt, William J., Jr.
In 1980, Congress authorized the establishment of James A. Garfield National Historic Site, with the park jointly administered through a cooperative agreement between the National Park Service and the Western Reserve Historical Society. These institutions recently determined that the Carriage House would be adaptively reutilized as a visitor center. This action will require considerable ground disturbance inside and around the margins of the building. To minimize the construction impacts upon known archeological resources in and around the building, the Midwest Archeological Center conducted a salvage archeology excavation at the site from May 29 through July 1, 1991. This work was primarily directed toward the clarification of the structure's architectural and use histories. The investigation resulted in the discovery of previously unknown aspects of the structure, including the original manifestations of the building and changes in internal configurations of rooms, floors, and spaces from circa 1885 through the present.