National Park Service PARKitecture Banner

Transportation Systems
Information Centers
Hotels & Lodging
Support Facilities
Generals Highway (1920-1939)

Generals Highway, which runs through the western side of Sequoia National Park and the detached portion of Kings Canyon, links two state highways and provides a loop drive through the parks. It was originally constructed as a park road between 1920 and 1935, but the most significant period in the development of its character was from 1933-1939, when the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was active in the park. General Highway was carefully designed and engineered to fit into the existing topography of the park, as seen in this photo of a mountainous switchback.8

Links for Learning More

Photograph by Brian C. Grogan, 1993, National Park Service, Historic American Engineering Record. [Library of Congress reproduction number: HAER, DLC/PP-96:CA-5,DLC/PP-99:CA-1 (HAER CA-140-99)]

Back to the Top
Transportation Systems Series
Sequoia Series

Featured Parks | Facility Types
Links for Learning More | Image Index
Credits | Footnotes | Links to the Past

ParkNet Logo