National Park Service PARKitecture Banner

Transportation Systems
Information Centers
Hotels & Lodging
Support Facilities
Power House (1926)

Needed to supply power and steam to the Fred Harvey and Santa Fe Railway facilities on the South Rim and steam to heat railroad cars in the rail yards, the building is constructed of reinforced concrete and steel. Combining a straightforward industrial function with qualities of a Swiss Chalet, overscaling of windows, balcony, eaves, and exterior masonry, makes the buildings appear considerably smaller than it actually is. In contrast, the interior is basically industrial with concrete floors and walls, and steel framing. The two original Fairbanks-Morse diesel generators are still in place, along with an overhead crane for maintenance. The Power House operations were shut down in 1956.35

More Images and Info! (HABS/HAER Collections) Links for Learning More

Photograph by Laura Soulliere.

Back to the Top
Support Facilities Series
Grand Canyon Series

Featured Parks | Facility Types
Links for Learning More | Image Index
Credits | Footnotes | Links to the Past

ParkNet Logo