National Park Service PARKitecture Banner

Transportation Systems
Information Centers
Hotels & Lodging
Support Facilities
Painted Desert Inn (1924; rebuilt 1937-1940)

The Stone Tree House, built in 1924 by Herbert D. Lore, which originally occupied this site, commanded sweeping views of the Painted Desert. The original building was substantially redesigned by Thomas C. Vint in the Pueblo Revival style and converted into the Painted Desert Inn, constructed by CCC workers between 1937-1940. Soft stucco walls, Spanish Colonial detailing, tin Mexican-style chandeliers, decorative woodwork and colorful murals make this building a notable example of Southwestern design.19

More Images and Info! (HABS/HAER Collections) Links for Learning More

Photograph by Dewey Livingston, February 1992, National Park Service, Historic American Buildings Survey. [Library of Congress reproduction number: HABS, ARIZ,1-NAVA.V,1- (HABS AZ-161-6)]

Back to the Top
Hotels & Lodging Series
Petrified Forest Series

Featured Parks | Facility Types
Links for Learning More | Image Index
Credits | Footnotes | Links to the Past

ParkNet Logo