Driving up for sunrise? Know before you go!
Beginning February 1, 2017, visitors in personal or rental vehicles wishing to view sunrise at Haleakalā National Park will need to make sunrise viewing reservations ahead of time at recreation.gov.
Reservations are now available, online only, up to 60 days in advance of your sunrise visit.
You can call the reservation line at 1-877-444-6777 to make a reservation over the phone.
A small number of last-minute tickets are released online two days beforehand at 4:00 PM HST. The website will show tickets as sold out until 4:00 PM.
Please note that calling the park directly, or visiting in-person, will not result in a reservation since staff at Haleakalā National Park are unable to make reservations for you.
- No reservations for sunset are required at this time.
The reservation fee is not part of the entrance fee. Entrance fees will be collected upon entry to the park. Visitors with national park passes, please have your pass and ID ready to present at the gate for entry.
Reservations are only for sunrise and can only be used on the day that was reserved.
Weather is constantly changing at the summit of Haleakalā and we can’t predict whether a sunrise is going to be clear or cloudy. There will be no refunds or exchanging reservations for a different day.
Step-by-step guidance on booking through recreation.gov:
- Click Sign In or Sign Up to log in to your account or create a new one
- Visit the page for sunrise reservations
- Click the Book Now button under the first tab labeled Tour Park Details. This will take you to the next tab.
- Click the Enter Date button under "Online** availability."
- Select the tour date for ticket availability, and enter "1" for number of tickets. Click Find Tour Times.
- Select the 3:00 AM - 7:00 AM option.
- Enter the number of vehicles as "1" again.
- Click Book Tour.
- Have the permit holder present a valid ID and reservation upon arrival at the park entrance station.