The Volunteer Management Internship will last for 12 weeks (start and end dates may vary). Park housing may be available. A $100/week living allowance may be available. The Intern will have the unique opportunity to work with staff from all park disciplines on a variety of projects, special events, and resource management activities. From the front lines, interacting with the park visitor, to working one on one with park volunteers, the candidate will experience almost every facet of park operations.
This internship will be based under the Division of Interpretation, Education, & Partnerships at Harpers Ferry National Historical Park and the supervisor will be the park’s Volunteer Program Manager.
- Conduct outreach to local organizations
- Attend park partner organization meetings
- Lead volunteer groups on a variety of field projects (trail maintenance, landscape restoration, sign installation, park cleanup days, invasive plant management, etc.),
- Track and log volunteer hours for individuals and groups
- Recruit and train volunteers
- Manage volunteers, ensuring a quality experience
- Provide other interns programmatic support
- Volunteer recognition
- Organize volunteer projects
- Help manage volunteer program supplies
- Train and lead volunteer crews (SCA, Boy Scouts, etc.)
Seasons and Application Deadline(s)
Deadline: March 1st
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Required)
- The individual must possess effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- The intern must be able to provide leadership and guidance to both small and large volunteer groups, and must be able to relate with volunteers of all ages, especially youth.
- Able to perform work both in the office and outdoors.
- Incumbent must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. and work in uneven terrain in varied temperatures and weather conditions.
- Must possess a current driver’s license.
- Must possess an intermediate knowledge of working with computers, both PC and Mac, and data management programs (Word, Excel, Access, etc.).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Preferred)
- Public speaking experience is a plus.
- Experience working with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, etc.) is a plus.
- College degree or coursework toward a degree is preferred.
Contact for more information
Volunteer Program Manager
Mail: Attn: Volunteer Program Manager
Harpers Ferry NHP
PO Box 65 Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
Applications should include:
- Cover Letter
- Names, Relationships, and Contact Information for three Professional and/or Academic References
In the cover letter please include the following:
- Whether or not you require housing.
- Why you want to be an intern at Harpers Ferry NHP.
- What your objectives are.
- What particular type of work you would like to do.
- The dates you would begin and end your internship.
- Whether or not this internship is for school credit. If applicable, the number of hours required by your school, the requirements of your school's internship program, and your advisor's name and contact information.
- Also please feel free to express yourself, your hopes and expectations in the cover letter.
- If not selected for this internship, please indicate other internships within the park, in which you might be interested. Thanks for your interest! We look forward to hearing from you.