Experience the Colonial Backcountry and learn from Revolutionary War soldiers.
Please note that all living history programs are dependent on favorable weather conditions, and are always FREE!
Meet the men and women of the Guilford Militia, an organization of dedicated Revolutionary War enthusiasts on the days below. The Militia presents a variety of interpretive programs clad in replica Revolutionary War clothing and carrying the firearms of 1781 while living the life of the 1780's soldier and camp follower. The public is invited to visit with them in their re-created 1781 camp at Tour Stop #6 during the following weekends:
- Memorial Day weekend – May 26-28
- Independence Day weekend – July 1-4 (The Guilford Militia will be at the Hoskins Farm/Colonial Heritage Center - 2200 New Garden Road).
- Labor Day Weekend – September 2-3
- Veterans Day Weekend – November 11-12
Colonial Life at the Hoskins FarmStep back in time with our living history interpreters at the Hoskins Farm. Learn 18th century cooking techniques in the Hoskins kitchen, visit the Hoskins home to experience colonial backcountry life or speak with a soldier, tour our Kitchen Garden, and watch a live demonstration of blacksmithing. See the dates below. All events occur at the Hoskins Farm at 2200 New Garden Road, Greensboro, NC 27410. The Colonial Heritage Center is closed for 2017.
Blacksmith demonstrations at the forge
- June 17th – time 10:00AM - 4:00PM
- June 24th – time 10:00AM - 4:00PM
- Independence Day Weekend – July 1st and 4th, 10:00AM - 4:00PM
- More days to come this summer in July and August, check back.
The Hoskins Kitchen will be open to visitors. Living history interpreters will demonstrate how to cook in the 18th century style. Learn a new recipe, ask about common herbs and spices, and enjoy the scent of foods from the time! Explore our Kitchen Garden as well, to learn about the types of herbs and plants the Hoskins family would have relied upon. Visitors cannot eat any prepared food.
- June 10th 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Labor Day Weekend 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- More days to come this summer, check back.
- June 24th - Colonial lighting program in the Hoskins House - how did the colonists survive with natural and candle light?
Living History special events
Independence Weekend Commemoration, July 1st - 4th 10:00 AM - 4:00PM
Visit the Centennial Page for a full schedule.
- Weekend black powder demonstrations will take place on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday 11:00 AM, 1:00PM, and 3:00PM
- Independence Day black powder demonstrations will take place on Tuesday July 4th, at 1:00PM and 3:00M.
- The Militia will perform a ceremonial salute during the Signing of the Declaration of Independence Commemoration at the Signers Monument (Stop 8) at 10:00 AM.
- Visit the Blacksmith forge on July 1st and 4th from 10:00AM - 4:00PM to learn about this colonial trade.
- On July 4th, the Carolina Colonial Dancers will perform in the Visitor Center Conference room at 11:30 AM and 1:30 PM.
Labor Day Weekend, September 2-3
- Guilford Militia encampment at Hoskins Farm (Colonial Heritage Center)
- Cooking at the Hoskins Kitchen from 10:00AM - 4:00PM
History of the American Soldier, November 11th 10:00 AM – 4:00PM
The “History of the American Soldier” involves a timeline representing periods of U.S. military History from the 1600’s until the present. Each period will feature a soldier or group of soldiers, portrayed by park volunteers, uniformed, equipped, and armed according to the period they represent. The Park invites the public to tour the timeline and to speak with these soldiers to ask questions and to see and compare the changes from one historical period to another. This outdoor program is located at Stop 8 near the General Nathanael Greene Monument.