Last updated: April 14, 2015
Ground Level Ozone Biomonitoring - High School
- Grade Level:
- Ninth Grade-College Undergraduate Level
OverviewScientists have noticed that ground level ozone levels tend to be worse at higher elevations, especially at night. This lesson will introduce students to these ozone issues. This unit is broken into three parts. involving a trip to the park and is accompanied by two preparation activities and two wrap-up activities.
1) be able to estimate the percentage of injury on the leaves of various plant species
2) become familiar with the vocabulary associated with estimating ozone symptoms on plants (stippling, chlorosis, necrosis)
3) explain what ground level ozone is and how it impacts sensitive plants
4) describe two sources of and name at least one way to reduce ground level ozone.