This program is a great way to enjoy the park's backcountry while helping to maintain a campsite!
Interested in becoming an Adopt a Campsite Volunteer? Here is what you should know:
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park provides volunteers with training in campsite maintenance and inspection, Leave No Trace, and tool safety.
- Campsite maintenance includes: cleaning out fire rings, inspecting bear cable systems, removing litter, and dismantling primitive benches or tables.
- The park provides volunteers with access to the tools needed to complete the work.
- To participate in the program, volunteers must complete a VIP application and attend a one-day Adopt a Campsite orientation training session.
- If you wish to remain in the program for more than a year you must attend an annual safety meeting.
- Volunteers are expected hike out to their campsite at least 5 times a year for at least one year and submit a report after each trip.
- Volunteers must be 18 years old or work with a consenting adult at all times.
To volunteer for the Adopt a Campsite program download a VIP Application
and return completed VIP applications to the park's Volunteer Coordinator
at 107 Park Headquarters Drive, Gatlinburg, TN 37738.