On April 22nd, 2013, Great Falls Park started its trash free program.
All trash cans have been removed from the park.
Please be prepared to carry your trash out when you leave the park, and dispose of it properly.
A trash free program has many benefits, including:
- Fostering a partnership between the visitors and the park by encouraging people to take an active role in maintaining a trash-free park.
- Encouraging people to adopt a carry in, carry out Leave No Trace principle.
- Encouraging people to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
- Reducing odors in the picnic area.
- Increasing visitor safety by reducing the number of stinging insects, rodents, and other wildlife in the picnic area.
- Park hours and funds spent on trash collection can be applied to other projects and improvements within the park. These projects include facility and grounds maintenance, and resource preservation.
- Reducing the amount of litter in the park.
- Establish a commitment towards park sustainability and responsible park use that will carry on to future generations.
Trash Free Frequently Asked Questions