|Insider's Look at Grand Canyon #25
Ranger Jack Howell talks about the history of Verkamp's Visitor Center.
Running Time 04m:26s - Jan. 15, 2010 - Produced by Park Ranger Patrick Gamman
|Available Downloads: right-click on link - then select: save target/ file/ link as|
|4.0 MB mp3 file||15.0 MB mp4 file||15.0 MB wmv file||94 kb pdf File|
Insider's Look Podcast 25: Jan. 15, 2010
Press the play button to start the (Adobe Flash) video above. If the playback is uneven, try pausing the video and waiting for it to load before viewing. Help with videos...
Verkamp Family History
John Verkamp headed to the developing South Rim in 1898. He set up a tent and sold souvenirs to the few people who made the long stagecoach trip to the rim. Not happy with the volume of business, at the end of the summer he sold his inventory to one of the hotel operators and went back to Flagstaff.
January 31, 1906 $4.98 A good day.
So recorded John Verkamp in the ledger for his first day of business in the new store on the South Rim of Grand Canyon. After such a promising start, Verkamp's Curios would continue operations for more than a century.
Service FirstThe Verkamps built their business on service to their guests, service to their employees, and service to their community.
The Verkamps bought from some of the same Native American artisans for 25 to 50 years. All employees received training to explain the history and meaning of sales items, believing that an informed guest was a pleased buyer.
For decades the Verkamp family was involved in the South Rim community They were instrumental in developing the Grand Canyon School and continued to offer their committed support.
The Shrine of the Ages and community library also received assistance from the family. A Verkamp was a charter member of the Grand Canyon Rotary Club. The Boy Scouts received much support from the family.
For decades the Verkamp family operated the Verkamp's store as a concession permitted by the National Park Service. When their contract last came up for renewal, the Verkamps chose not to compete for a new one. The National Park Service purchased the building and opened it in November 2008 as a visitor center and Grand Canyon Association bookstore.
Insider's Look at Grand Canyon Podcast
Return to the Insider's Look at Grand Canyon Index