1. The Natural History of Glacier Bay
Divide the resources below among eight student groups to read.
- Student Group 1: Glacier Bay: A Maritime Wilderness
- Student Group 2: Natural History of Glacier Bay - Geology
- Student Group 3: Natural History of Glacier Bay - Geography
- Student Group 4: Natural History of Glacier Bay - Plants
- Student Group 5: Natural History of Glacier Bay - Animals
- Student Group 6: Natural History of Glacier Bay - Change
- Student Group 7: Human History of Glacier Bay
- Student Group 8: Glacier Bay Ecosystem GIS - Effect of a Keystone Species, the Sea Otter
Provide each group with a copy of the brochure map of Glacier Bay and the Marine Environment Glossary. Map of Glacier Bay National Park (Shows glacial retreat timeline) https://www.nps.gov/applications/parks/glba/ppMaps/ACF30C1.pdf
Distribute the Student Worksheet: Glacier Bay Over Time. This worksheet provides a note-taking guide for students as they read their assigned resource. The information they gather on this guide will be used in Step 2 of the activity.