Students that have spent time preparing for their visit to Glacier National Park get more out of a field trip to the park. Activities post-visit also help to reinforce information learned during the trip. This Preparing for Your 6th-12th Grade Winter Field Trip packet should have everything you need to prepare your students for a successful day with the rangers.
The following are supplementary materials that may aid in preparing or extending the learning for your trip.
Suggested classroom activities from Teacher's Guide
- Locating Glacier National Park
- Snug in the Snow (pp. 37-38)
- Snow Characteristics (pp. 39-42)
- Tracks Along the Trail – Winter Signs (pp. 48 -53)
- How Much Water is in this Snow? (pp. 43-47)
- Winter Vocabulary (pp. 73-76)
Winter Ecology Teacher's Guide (pdf) - this is a large file and may take time to download
Winter Pack worksheet (pdf) - this worksheet (or a similar version) will be used on your field trip.