Gateway National Recreation Area is open, but there are some changes in operations- UPDATED April 19, 2021.
New Mask Requirements
Individuals over the age of two years must wear masks, except when actively eating or drinking, in the following locations:
1. All common areas and shared workspaces in buildings owned, rented or leased by the National Park Service,
including, but not limited to, park visitor centers, administrative offices, lodges, gift shops and restaurants.
2. The following outdoor areas, when others are present, where the superintendent has determined that physical
distancing (staying at least six feet apart) cannot reasonably be maintained:
• All outdoor areas adjacent to visitor centers
• All parking lots and common areas in campgrounds
• All crowded trails, viewpoints, and other areas of interest
• All covered structures that attract crowds such a memorials and open-air pavilions
Masks must cover the nose and mouth and fit snugly around the nose and chin with no large gaps around the sides of the
face. Masks not designed to be protective, masks with ventilation valves, and face shields do not meet the requirement.
Staten Island Unit Great Kills Park Boat Launch Permit
The Great Kills Park Boat Launch is currently available for use. Starting May 1 a Valid 2021 Boat Launch Permit will be required to use the Boat Launch and adjacent Boat Launch Parking Area. Gateway National Recreation Area has established a new process for the sale and issuance of the Boat Launch Permits. Due to Covid-19 related safety concerns, Boat Launch Permits will be sold and issued outside the Miller Field Ranger Station during the dates and times listed below. You do not need to drive your vehicle with the boat trailer attached to the Miller Field Ranger Station to obtain your permit.
Friday, April 23, 10:00 am-2:00 pm
Saturday, April 24, 10:00 am-2:00 pm
Sunday, April 25, 10:00 am-2:00 pm
Permit transactions must be made with credit card or debit cards only.
A boat launch permit is required to park within the boat launch parking area.
A boat trailer must be attached to your vehicle within the boat launch parking area.
Boat launch parking is limited to 24 hours per visit .
Commercial activity is prohibited.
Personal watercraft, such as jet-skis, kayaks, canoes or any other personal watercraft are prohibited at the Great Kills Park Boat Launch.
We understand this is a new process and you may have questions.
Our Ranger Stations remain temporarily closed, however, we are available to answer your questions by phone, Tuesday through Saturday, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at (718) 354-7122.
Off-Road Vehicle Permits (Jamaica Bay Unit, Breezy Point Tip)
Jamaica Bay Unit OFF-ROAD VEHICLE PERMITS
Gateway National Recreation Area has established a new process for the sale and issuance of the Jamaica Bay Unit, Breezy Point Tip, Off-Road Vehicle Permits. Due to Covid-19 related safety concerns, in-person permit sales will not occur within the Ryan Visitor Center. Starting this season, Off-Road Vehicle permits will be issued through a two-step process. Starting April 1 at 10:00 a.m., the Off-Road Vehicle Permits will go on-sale ONLINE ONLY through www.recreation.gov. When you purchase the Off-Road Vehicle Permit through www.recreation.gov, you will schedule an in-person equipment and vehicle inspection appointment that will occur between April 18 - 24 within the Ryan Visitor Center parking lot.
Step 1: April 1 at 10:00 a.m.
Off-Road Vehicle Permits go on-sale ONLINE ONLY through www.recreation.gov.
- Starting April 1, purchase the Off-Road Vehicle Permit and schedule your vehicle inspection appointment ONLINE ONLY through www.recreation.gov.
- Click here to go directly to www.recreation.gov and to the application and sales page.
- If the link above does not work on your browser, please go to the www.recreation.gov website and search: Breezy Point ORV Tickets. (site available starting April 1)
- Permit sales will continue through www.recreation.gov until all permits are sold.
Step 2: April 18 - 24
On-site Vehicle Inspection at the Ryan Visitor Center parking lot by APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Please note: Remember to make your Vehicle Inspection appointment through www.recreation.gov when you purchase your permit.
- From April 18 through April 24, 10 am - 4 pm daily, park staff will be available to inspect your vehicle and issue your permit within your scheduled appointment time.
Please remember, vehicle inspections are by appointment only and scheduled through www.recreation.gov.
- The following items are required to be in your vehicle during the inspection: 7-foot (minimum) fishing pole; reel and tackle; shovel; tow chain or rope; jack; jack support board; tire pressure gauge; appropriate spare tire; trash container; portable toilet. Please display these items in the back of your truck so that each item can be easily observed.
- After your vehicle passes the inspection, the Off-Road Vehicle Permit sticker will be provided.
- For faster registration, create an account on www.recreation.gov prior to April 1.
- Payment must be made on-line through www.recreation.gov when you purchase the Off-Road Vehicle Permit.
- On-site Vehicle Inspection will occur at the Ryan Visitor Center parking lot by appointment only from April 18-April 24. Appointments are made through www.recreation.gov.
- The vehicle that you will be using to access the sand road, sand lot, and beach, must be the same vehicle that you drive to your inspection appointment and you must have a valid registration for that vehicle available at the time of inspection.
- Bring the required items in the trunk of your vehicle to pass the inspection.
- Payment will not be accepted during the On-Site Vehicle Inspection.
- 2020 Off-Road Vehicle Permits are valid only through April 30, 2021.
- May 1 is the effective start date for 2021 Off-Road Vehicle Permits and will be valid through January 31, 2022.
- Off-Road Vehicle Permits are for Fishing Access Only.
- During Piping Plover Season from March 15 through September 15, there is no vehicle access to Breezy Point Tip. All vehicles must park at the Sand Lot during this time.
We understand this is a new process and you may have questions.
The Ryan Visitor Center remains temporarily closed, however, we are available to answer your questions by phone, Sunday through Wednesday, at (718) 338-3799.
Our Public Affairs Office is available Monday through Friday at (718) 354-4606.
Parking/After Hours Access for Fishing/2 Wheel Drive (SAHO, JABA, STIS)
Parking/After Hours Access permits for Fishing are on sale online only through pay.gov. Walk-in permit requests will not be accepted at this time. Please allow minimum of 30 days to process. Applicants will not be required to provide proof of fishing poles prior to receiving permit.
Sports League Permits (Fort Tilden, Frank Charles Park, Miller Field)
Spring Season sports leagues permits for low and medium impact sports are now available. Permits are only available through phone call, e-mail, or appointment.
Please contact the Jamaica Bay Unit, Permit Office (718) 338-3799 or the Staten Island Permit Office (718) 354-7122 for updated information for sports league permits. Spring Sports League permits valid for Spring Season only.
Archery Permits Floyd Bennett Field
The Floyd Bennett Field Archery field should open later in the Spring Season. Permits will only be available through phone call, e-mail, or appointment.
Please contact the Jamaica Bay Unit, Permit Office (718) 338-3799 for updated information.
Sports Fields and Courts:
Basketball and tennis courts have reopened throughout the park Participants should continue to wear face coverings, follow social distancing protocols and avoid participating in high-contact games such as pick-up basketball.
Playgrounds are open throughout the park.
All Campground locations are closed until further notice. Please check back in April for an update on the status of campgrounds for the summer season.
- Fort Wadsworth Campground
- Floyd Bennett Field Campground
- Sandy Hook Campground
Permits (other than sports):
Permits for most events and activities are not currently being issued.
Visitor Centers, Ranger Stations and History Houses are closed until further notice. Limited on-site programs have resumed. Please visit the event calendar for more information. Reservations are required for all ranger programs at this time.
Hours of Operation
Sandy Hook: 5 am to 9 pm
Jamaica Bay Unit: 6 am to 9 pm
Staten Island Unit: 6 am to 9 pm