Virtual Tour of Wilderness Tavern Site

Wilderness Tavern
Wilderness Tavern was important during the Chancellorsville and Wilderness campaigns. The structure was built about 1810 and during the war was the home of William Simms and his family. In earlier times, it had served as a stagecoach stop and tavern. The building was destroyed shortly after the war and its site is now underneath the west bound lanes of Route 3.
 
Sign for amputation of Jackson's arm
The field hospital for "Stonewall" Jackson's Corps extended from the Wilderness Tavern to Ellwood, the Lacy House. After his wounding, Jackson was transported to the field hospital and placed in a tent. Dr. Hunter H. McGuire saved Jackson's life by stopping the bleeding. Later that night he amputated Jackson's arm which was later buried at Ellwood. The tent was located in what is now a wooded are on the median strip between the lanes of the divided highway, Route 3. The site is about 100 yards west of the state highway sign shown here.
 

Last updated: February 26, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

120 Chatham Ln
Fredericksburg, VA 22405

Phone:

(540) 693-3200

Contact Us