Virtual Tour Stop, Todd's Tavern

Sketch of Todd's Tavern
With the Union in possession of the Brock Road/Orange Plank Road intersection, General Grant made the decision to move forward to Spotsylvania Court House. During the night of May 6 both armies began to move toward Spotsylvania. With the Union in possession of the Brock Road, the blue-clad soldiers had a shorter route to Spotsylvania, but the Confederates successfully slowed the Union advance on May 7 at Todd's Tavern. This delaying action allowed the Southern infantry the opportunity to win the race to Spotsylvania.
Todd's Tavern
Flavius Ballard purchased Todd's Tavern from the Todd family in 1848. The tavern was 1 1/2 stories and made of wood with flanking chimneys and a front porch. A barn-like structure appears in this photo to the left of the tavern. The tavern served a variety of purposes: residence, tavern, post office, and store. The tavern was destroyed prior to 1884.

Last updated: July 24, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

120 Chatham Ln
Fredericksburg, VA 22405


(540) 693-3200

Contact Us