Thank you for your interest in Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park’s internship program. This program is an excellent opportunity for students and recent graduates to apply knowledge learned in the classroom, gain experience, and meet professionals in the field, all of which will broaden your historical understanding. Many interns make friends and contacts for life.
Our internship program offers several positions.
· Be a college student or recent college graduate.
· Have a cumulated GPA of 2.0 or above on a 4.0 scale, or be in good standing as defined by the institution enrolled in
· Have an interest in the Civil War era
· Experience working in an area of the National Park Service that could lead to a future position as a paid employee
· School credit (Must be setup by student through their respective college or university)
· Free housing in park quarters
o During the summer, historical interpreter interns have first priority in housing. Interns in other areas may be able to receive housing if it is available.
· The park will provide uniforms.
INTERNSHIP DURATION and AVAILABILITY
The basic internship entails short-term volunteer work lasting about 2-4 months, and the interns usually work 2-5 days per week. At the park, most interns work in the summer season. Therefore, it’s important to get your applications handed in on time. Interviews are conducted in late-December and throughout the month of January. In addition, most park-funded internships are filled by the end of January. To apply for an internship, please print out the internship form, fill it out, and send it to the address below. Or, you can cut and the paste the form into a Microsoft word document which you send as an attachment to e-mail us the form as an attachment.
Please be advised that applications are now being accepted for the summer of 2009. This year, interns are expected to start work on May 20th, 2009 and finish work on August 16th, 2009.
Send resumes and cover letters to:
Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park
120 Chatham Lane
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22405-2508.