Applying for an Academic Fee Waiver
To qualify, applications must contain the following:
1. Provide current, official documentation of recognition as an educational institution by a federal, state, or local government entity, or other evidence attesting to educational status (i.e., accreditation letter, or educational or scientific tax exempt letter). It is insufficient to merely state or imply this on official letterhead. Your fee waiver will not be processed without this documentation.
2. Fill out the application for academic fee waver onto your institutional letterhead. Complete the application and mail or fax it along with your official recognition as an educational institution.
3. There must be a direct relationship between the purpose of the visit and the use of the park. The visit must be to study some aspect/resource specific to the park. A general statement to the effect that the visit is for “educational purposes” is insufficient by itself. An explanation of what the educational purpose entails and how it is related to park resources is required. Course outlines, lesson plans, or a copy of the curriculum meet this requirement.
Submit your fee waiver request on institutional letterhead a minimum of three weeks before the planned visit. Mail or fax it the following address:
Attention: Academic Fee Waivers
1214 Middle Street
Sullivan's Island, SC 29482
(843) 883-3910 fax
Things to Remember about Fee Waivers
Fee waivers will not be granted for unscheduled groups.
Academic fee waivers cannot be granted for hardship factors
Service, civic and fraternal organizations, such as Scouts, Rotary, and Elks, do not qualify for an academic fee waiver unless the group meets the criteria outlined in this flyer.
"Blanket" academic fee waivers for all National Parks are not issued or accepted.
Groups must submit separate requests to individual parks for approval.
- The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (16 U.S.C 6801-6814; P.L. 108-447, Division J, Title VIII), Enacted December 2004
- Department of the Interior, National Park Service: Reference Manual 22A, Recreation Fee Collection, Approved April 2011