Goal: To interpret the site’s compelling stories for the public in the hopes that this will lead visitors to a better understanding and appreciation of the park’s history and resources.
- Staff the visitor center information desk, greeting visitors as they enter the building
- Assist visitors with questions regarding park history, resources or facilities
- Operate cash register for the Eastern National bookstore. Eastern National is a non-profit organization that supports the park’s interpretive program. At the Fort Sumter Visitor Education Center at Liberty Square you will not have to operate the bookstore.
- Operate the visitor center audio-visual equipment
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds
- Must wear NPS volunteer uniform
Four hours per week
- Orientation to NPS Volunteer-In-Parks program
- Historic overview of local NPS sites
- Training in Visitor Center operation
- Training operation of the bookstore cash register
- Training in Safety R+ program
- Safety training in relevant areas