Fort Stanwix National Monument has a number of research questions that remain unexplored. To conduct research at Fort Stanwix, you must apply for a research permit through the Research Permit and Reporting System. For more information on the research needs of the park, policies, conditions, and procedures related to applying for a permit, please visit the National Park Service's Research Permit and Reporting website (

If you have specific questions pertaining to research projects in the park, please consult the resources below and then send an email to e-mail us or call 315-338-7738.


Since the 1970s, archeological projects have been undertaken at the park for a variety of reasons. The initial excavations took place in order to locate and document for the purposes of reconstructing the original fort. The results of those excavations can be read in Casemates and Cannonballs.

As a result of these excavations other professional publications are available at:
Hanson, Lee (1974) "Outhouses in Rome, New York," Northeast Historical Archaeology: Vol. 3 3, Article 3.
Available at:

Hanson, Lee & Dick Ping Hsu (1971) "Nineteenth Century Transfer Printed Earthenware from Rome, NY" Historical Archaeology, 5:74.

More recent archeological excavations have taken place in order to document buried cultural resources that may be impacted by park activities and construction related projects. During the summer of 2013, NPS archeologists uncovered and documented the first 18th century feature found at the site in nearly 40 years.

For details about this excavation, see the full report:
Roache-Fedchenko, Amy (2014). Mitigation Report for 2013 Monitoring Excavations Related to the Fire Suppression and Parade Ground Replacement Projects (PEPC Project #29475), Fort Stanwix National Monument, Rome, NY. (pdf)

Currently there are no ongoing archeological excavations at the park, but several researchers continue to access the archeology of the site through the museum collection, including:

Scholz, Elizabeth, "The Teapots In The Tempest: Ceramics And Military Order At 18th Century Fort Stanwix" (2016). Dissertations, Theses, and Masters Projects. College of William and Mary. Paper 1477068174.

Hippensteel, Jamie, "An Analysis of Faunal Remains From Fort Stanwix, New York: 1758-1781" (2016). Theses and Dissertations. Indiana University in Pennsylvania. Paper 1407.

Bowes, Jessica (2013). Archaeobotanical Remains at Fort Stanwix National Monument. Survey prepared for Fort Stanwix National Monument during National Council for Preservation Education internship. (pdf)

Jacobson, Michael (2013). Battlefield Delineation: Siege of Fort Stanwix and Battle of Oriskany Battlefield KOCOA Assessment and Mapping Project. Research Based on a Grant from The American Battlefield Protection Program to Rome Area Chamber of Commerce. (pdf)

Roache-Fedchenko, Amy, Erin Kain, Keith Routley (2011). “Rediscovering Material Culture at Fort Stanwix National Monument.” Poster presentation at the Society for Historical Archaeology Conference, Austin, TX. (pdf)

Visit the park’s Museum Collection page to learn more about the artifacts and other museum objects.

During the 1970s, the NPS completed a report titled Fort Stanwix: History, Historic Furnishing, and Historic Structure Reports. This document helped to inform the design of the reconstruction, the park’s living history program, and better contextualized the significant history of Fort Stanwix.

The individual reports compiled in the document include:

Luzader, John F. (1976). Construction and Military History 1758 to 1777, in History, Historic Furnishing, and Historic Structure Reports, Office of Historic Preservation, National Park Service, US Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.

Torres, Louis (1976). Historic Furnishing Study, in History, Historic Furnishing, and Historic Structure Reports, Office of Historic Preservation, National Park Service, US Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.

Carroll, Orville W. (1976). Historic Structure Report, in History, Historic Furnishing, and Historic Structure Reports, Office of Historic Preservation, National Park Service, US Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.


The archives at Fort Stanwix consist mainly of park related documents. These files document the operations and management of Fort Stanwix National Monument and the history of park services and projects. More specifically, the park’s archives include records about the development of the park, administrative history, cultural resources management, interpretive programs, and the events occurring at the park during the course of its operation.

The Finding Aid (pdf), provides further information about the archives at Fort Stanwix National Monument. It should be noted that historic documents, which include the 18th century Roseboom Ledgers and the Orderly Book of the 1st NY Regiment (pdf), are included in the museum collection.

An interesting history of the park can be found in:
Zenzen, Joan (2009) Reconstructing the Past, Partnering for the Future: An Administrative History of Fort Stanwix National Monument.

Caldwell, M. (2009). The Fort Stanwix Administrative History: A Superintendent's Perspective. The Public Historian, 31(2), 66-70.


Ethnographic studies reveal the complicated cultural histories of the people associated with Fort Stanwix. The ethnographic study completed to date is:

Bilharz, Joy (2009). Oriskany: A Place of Great Sadness, A Mohawk Valley Ethnography. Northeast Regiona Ethnography Program, National Park Service, US Department of the Interior, Boston, MA.

Further ethnographic research regarding the treaties signed or negotiated at Fort Stanwix is currently underway and will be made available once published.

Other Park Documents and Reports
2016 Foundation Document: Fort Stanwix National Monument. National Park Service, US Department of the Interior, Washington D.C. (pdf)

2009 Fort Stanwix National Monument Final General Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement. National Park Service, US Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.

1999 National Park Service Cultural Landscapes Inventory: Fort Stanwix. National Park Service, US Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.


Before the construction of the fort, the area served as a meeting and exchange location for several American Indian tribes. This tradition of traveling through the area along the waterways and meeting to trade was continued through the construction and occupation of Fort Stanwix, the establishment of the Erie Canal as a primary transportation avenue, and today with the use of the nearby New York State Thruway. The park partners with Rome Historical Society to help tell this complex and rich history.

For more information about these resources and the resources of connected sites visit our partners at:
Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor

Rome Historical Society

Oriskany Battlefield State Historic Site

Rome Area Chamber of Commerce

Last updated: August 10, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

112 East Park St.
Rome, NY 13440



Contact Us