This 19th century porcelain, spade-shaped candy dish was made some time between 1900 and 1912. It was recovered by NPS archeologists during excavations in the yard area of a business called J.G. and Company, which was a druggist located at 117 East Dominick Street. In 1889, the business was owned by J.G. Bissell and J.A. Owens. The museum collection includes several pharmaceutical bottles that feature the name ‘G. N. Bissell’, who was J.G. Bissell’s father and original founder of the company established in 1843. By 1929, the lot had been converted into a store called Rome Sporting Goods and Manufactures.
Sometime after the druggist shop opened and before the sporting goods store opened, this candy dish was produced by the “oldest privately owned Bavarian factory” and the top producer of German porcelain (McCaslin 1994a:8; McCaslin 1994b:6).