Frequently Asked Plan Your Visit Questions

return to:

Fort Stanwix FAQ's

Plan Your Visit:

Q?: How do I get to Fort Stanwix and where to I park?
A: Please visit the Directions page for more details.

Q?: How much does it cost to enter the park?
A: The cost is free for both the visitor center and fort exhibits.

Q?: Are there any fees entailed in visiting the park?
A: If you plan on participating in a permitted activity on park grounds, you may have to pay a fee or apply for a permit before your arrival. Some activities include large rallies and gatherings, photo and video opportunities for profit, weddings, etc. Please look through the National Park Service Permit Applications and Guidelines or call the park at (315) 338-7730 for more information.

Q?: What hours are the park open?
A: The park visitor center, or the Willett Center, is open every day 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., except for January 1, Thanksgiving Day (U.S.), and December 25. The fort grounds are normally closed between late December and early April. Hours for the grounds in others seasons vary. Please visit the park Operation Hours & Seasons page for the most up to date information.

Q?: Which areas of the park are accessible?
A: Much of the fort is rebuilt to its original form; the park and its staff happily can make accommodations. The Willett Center is much newer and is fully accessible. Please check the park Accessibility page for more information.

Q?: Where can I find all the information I need to plan and reserve a school field trip?
A: You can find all that information on the following link to the For Teachers page. All educational field trips are free unless otherwise noted.

Q?: Where can I find all the information I need to plan and reserve a tour group for a large organization?
A: You can find all that information on the following link to the Group Tours page. All programs are free unless otherwise noted.

Q?: How can I can I obtain information about the various education and service opportunities offered for Boy and Girl Scouts?
A: The park offers numerous different opportunities for service work for individual scouts, as well as entire troops. Educational field trips can be booked by any troop or council leader for groups ages 5+.
All educational field trips are free unless otherwise noted. To review all options please look through the following Girl Scout and Boys Scout park pages.

Q?: Can I buy the new America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Passes here?
A: Yes, all National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Passes are offered at this site if you are planning a trip and would like to purchase one. However, there is no cost to enter Fort Stanwix National Monument and you do not need a pass to enter the park.

Q?: Can we still use our Golden Age and Golden Access National Parks Passes?
A: Yes, all Golden Access or Golden Age passes National Park Passes issued before December 31, 2006 will be honored continued to be honored for their full value. If you wish to exchange your pass for a newer one, or if they physically wear out you will need to obtain a replacement pass with proper identification. If your card is damaged and made from paper you will be required to pay the fee. Paper card exchanges are free. However, there is no cost to enter Fort Stanwix National Monument and you do not need a pass to enter the park.

Q?: Does the park provide a Junior Ranger program/booklet?
A: Fort Stanwix provides a Junior Ranger Activity Booklet free of charge to children of ALL ages. You could also choose to try the program from home if you are unable to visit the park. Just visit the Fort Stanwix Junior Ranger page for more information about how to participate!

Q?: Are pets allowed in the fort or on other parts of park property?
A: Pets are allowed inside the fort proper as long as they are leashed and under control. They are not however, allowed in any of the enclosed buildings. Please be aware that some areas are much different than your pet may be used to and it is important to watch their reactions for their and all visitors' safety. ALL SERVICE ANIMALS ARE PERMITTED. Please click this link for more animal/pet information.

Q?: Where can I get something to eat?
A: The park provides no concessionaires or picnic tables, but people are welcome to bring their meals to picnic on the park lawn. There are also numerous eateries in Rome on all the main routes into the city. They vary from fast food, to bistros, to sit down restaurants, local and chain. Many are a few blocks walking distance from the park on different side streets.

Q?: Where can I stay overnight?
A: There are several hotels, motels, and other inns that are available to stay at within a 20 mile radius. Please visit the Rome, NY Chamber of Commerce webpage, for complete listings of what is available.

Q?: Where is the closest campground?
A: There are no camp facilities at the park. However there are several facilities within an hours distance or less, both private and state run.
Please visit the Rome NY Chamber of Commerce webpage and the New York State Parks webpage for complete listings.

Q?: Can I stay overnight in the fort or on park grounds?
A: There are no overnight facilities for the visiting public at the park. Overnights do occur, however, on specific occasion. If you are planning a special event and would like to obtain a Special Use Permit, please call the park at 315-338-7730. Or, if you are part of a living history, scouting, or 4-H group wanting to participate in one of Fort Stanwix's Special Events, please contact the park VIP Coordinator for more information.


Last updated: February 26, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

112 East Park St.
Rome, NY 13440



Contact Us