The First Visit
- Grade Level:
- Fourth Grade
- American Indian History and Culture, Colonial History, History, Naval History
- 45 minutes
- Group Size:
- Up to 36
- National/State Standards:
- National Standard for History:
Topic 2: Standard 3
Topic 3: Standard 5
North Carolina State Standards
4.H.1.1, 4.H.1.2, 4.H.1.3, 4.H.2.1
- colonization, Roanoke Island, Fort Raleigh, 16th Century Exploration
OverviewIn 1584, Walter Raleigh funded his first voyage to the New World after being granted the patent from Queen Elizabeth I and quickly set about seeking a location for his future colony. His explorers not only located Roanoke Island quickly, but had their first important interaction with the Native Algonquians in the area.
Objective(s)The Learner will:
- Gain an understanding of England's first glimpse of the New World
- Explain the interaction between the Native Algonquians in the area and the Englishmen
- Examine the benefits of the location of Roanoke.
Download pdf of lesson plane located in upper right section of this page
Fort Raleigh National Historic site is the location of the first English colony in America.
Last updated: April 14, 2015