Traveling the National Road - Unit 7: Biography Cards
- Grade Level:
- Second Grade-Fourth Grade
- Commerce and Industry, Economics, Immigration, Slavery, Transportation, U.S. Presidents, Westward Expansion
- 45 - 180 minutes
- Group Size:
- Up to 36
- National/State Standards:
- National Standards for History: K-4 Standard 2, 3, 5, 8. Curriculum Standards for Social Studies: I, II, III, VI, VII, VIII. Common Core: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.3.1, 3.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.3.2, 3.7, CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1, 3.4.
OverviewIn “Traveling the National Road (Biography Cards)” students will learn about 14 different people associated with the National Road. Each person has a different occupation and is linked to an occupation card.
The “Traveling the National Road” teacher’s guide is broken into ten units and is targeted for 3rd grade students. Each unit can be completed independently. This is unit 7 and contains 14 biography cards (student readings) and two activities.
Guiding Question: Who worked or traveled along the National Road? What was interesting about their lives? How did the National Road affect them?
Critical Content: The National Road affected many peoples' lives, both workers and travelers. The biography cards highlight 14 people associated with the National Road along with interesting facts about each person.
Student objectives: Students will…
· List the name of a person associated with the National Road
· List two interesting facts about the person
· List how the person was associated with the National Road
The "Traveling the National Road" teacher's guide is broken into ten units and is targeted for 3rd grade students. Each unit can be completed independently. Units 1 - 6 each have teacher background, a student reading and two student activities. Unit 7 has fourteen biography cards of people associated with the National Road along with two student activities. Unit 8 has fourteen occupation cards of jobs that were associated with the National Road along with three student activities. Unit 9 discusses seven historic sites in Pennsylvania associated with the National Road. Unit 10 has other activities and an appendix. Additionally there are two posters: one is a map of the National Road and the other is a list of the historic tolls.
Check out the other units:
Unit 7: Biography Cards
The teacher's guide is also available free on a CD or as a printed version in a three ring binder. Please email us if you would like to receive the teacher's guide in one of these formats.
Unit 7: Biography Cards. This unit is a 30 page long pdf covering the biographies of 14 people associated with the National Road. Each biography card is written for the students to read. New vocabulary is highlighted on each card.
1. Download the pdf of the lesson plan
2. Read the two student activities
3. Make copies of the biography cards for the students
4. Teach and discuss with the students
This lesson relates to the Mount Washington Tavern located in the main unit of Fort Necessity National Battlefield. The tavern was a 1830s stagecoach stop along the National Road and is now a furnished museum. It tells the story of travelers, transportation and accommodations along the road. This lesson will help students prepare for the "Travelers and Workers Along the National Road" field trip.