Special Use Permits are required for special events such as weddings, ceremonies, walkathons, runs, meetings, gatherings, distribution of printed material and other public expressions of views (including First Amendment demonstrations), memorializations, and other activities that are otherwise controlled or prohibited. This listing is not complete. These uses of the park require that a permit be applied for at least three weeks in advance. It can take up to two weeks for permit processing.

Please read below for permit details. Once you have filled out the appropriate permit form, send the completed form to. FOMC_PERMITS@NPS.GOV . A $100.00 non-refundable application fee will be required with each permit application, paid either by credit card or check. Please indicate your method of payment in the email and the Special Park Use Coordinator will contact you.
Additional fees may be assessed, and will be determined at the discretion of the Permit Office.

Application Process and Cost
Use the
Special Use Permit Application Form to request permits for the following activities:

Use the Application for Commercial Filming/Still Photography Permit to request permits for the following activities:

Federal procedures (31 USC7701) require your Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number on the back of all checks accepted for deposit in the amount of $50 or more. You must supply one or the other in order for your check to be accepted and your application to be processed.

The information provided on the application will be used to determine whether a permit will be issued, so please provide as much detail as possible. You will be notified of the disposition of the application and the necessary steps to secure your final permit. If your request is approved, a permit containing applicable conditions and regulations will be sent to the person you have designated on the application. The permit must be signed and returned to the park prior to the event.

Insurance Requirement
Proof of insurance is required and documentation must carry a commercial liability (minimum of $1 million) issued by a U.S. company. Insurance certificate must identify the production company by name and business address. "The United States" will be named as "additional insured" on the insurance certificate. The Certificate Holder is to be listed as:
National Park Service, Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine, 2400 East Fort Ave, Baltimore, MD 21230.


Breaking News
Breaking news is an event that cannot be covered at any other time or at any other location. Filming of breaking news does not involve advertising, sets, props, or models. Coverage of breaking news does not require a permit, but film crews may not disrupt park visitors, damage park resources, or compromise public health and safety regulations.

The mission of the National Park Service is to preserve and protect our resources as stated in the Organic Act… "The Service…shall provide and regulate the use of …National Parks.[its] purpose is to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wildlife therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such a manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations."(16U.S.C.1)

It is the policy of Fort McHenry National Monument & Historic Shrine to accommodate requests for special use permits when and where possible, while adhering to this mandate. Therefore, our primary concern is to assess potential resource damage and disruption of normal public use prior to authorization of any special use activity.

Last updated: February 1, 2020

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

2400 East Fort Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21230


(410) 962-4290 x250

Contact Us