In 1742, during the War of Jenkins' Ear, English and Spanish forces fought in an encounter later known as the "Battle of Bloody Marsh". The name came from old tales claiming the marsh "ran red with the blood of Spaniards". However, official Spanish records indicate that only seven grenadiers died during this battle.
The Bloody Marsh Unit is located on St. Simon's Island, off of Demere Road. It is open 8:30 am to 4:00 pm 7 days a week, except for Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
*NOTE: new traffic pattern merges Demere onto Airport Road. At first traffic light before the airport, turn left to get back onto Demere and proceed to Bloody Marsh. For GPS purposes Bloody Marsh is located at 11806 Old Demere Road. However most GPS units will not reflect the latest traffic pattern.
Last updated: April 14, 2015