Event Date:08/09/2014 - 08/11/2014
Event Time:All Day
Tuolumne Meadows is historically a Native American summer trading ground. The Native Youth Cultural Exchange will invite native youth groups from both sides of the Sierras, convening for three days/two nights days and participate in:
- a cultural exchange (trading cultural items from their respective tribe, sharing stories, hand games, etc.),
- youth development activities, and
- in interpretive hikes of the area.
Those youth groups who contract for it can also participate in a guided backpack trip through the backcountry (including summits such as Clouds Rest and/or Half Dome). These groups will then re-connect for a celebration following the trip.
This program will:
- honor the history and significance of the Native Americans in the park;
- inspire the Native youth through life-changing experiences in the Yosemite backcountry; and
- protect the park by teaching “Leave No Trace” principals