The Freeman School serves as a reminder of the role the schoolhouse played in the history of the prairie frontier. Officially known as school District Number 21, the school was a center of education for prairie children from 1872 until 1967. During its long history, the school was also a meeting place for the first Trinity Lutheran Church, the polling place for Blakely Township, and a gathering place for many debates, socials and clubs.
It is not known if it was named after Thomas Freeman, a local bricklayer, or Daniel Freeman, a local homesteader. Both men served on the school board at tone time. Daniel garnered national attention with his protest against bible-based lessons at school which led to an important judicial decision regarding the separation of church and state in Nebraska during 1902.